Friday, January 4, 2008

A Christmas Story

“Where do you live this year?” Santa asked John and Dorine as he checked his address book. He’d remembered having to change their address frequently.
“Memphis,” we replied.
“What? I can’t believe it? Have you been bad this year?” Santa chuckled.
“No, Santa, we’ve been good. John got a job with FedEx he couldn’t refuse,” said Dorine.
“Are you still consulting, Dorine?” questioned Santa as he erased “Baltimore” from his address book.
“No. I’m retired. I renovated our Memphis townhouse and now I write,” Dorine explained.
“What are you writing?” Santa asked Dorine. He was very curious.
“I’m writing a novel based on my sailing adventure 20 years ago. I also keep a blog about our Memphis experience,” Dorine said.
“But it’s not easy for her. She howls and whines a bit.” John interrupted.
“She doesn’t like writing?” asked Santa, frowning.
“No, Memphis; it’s a bucket of cold water; a shock to her system,” John explained.
“But she was so excited at the beginning,” pondered Santa.
“She’s always excited at the beginning,” John sighed.
“Is there anything you like about Memphis?” Santa asked, turning to Dorine.
“The humid near ever-lasting summer -- it’s good for my skin,” said Dorine sarcastically. “But, I do like being the volunteer webmaster for The International Children’s Heart Foundation. Its web address is
www.babyheart.com.”
“What are you doing to help her adjust to this change in life?” Santa asked John with great seriousness.
“I got her a second dog named Joe-Joe. He’s a feisty Cocker Spaniel. He and Fred provide her with inspiration and structure to her day,” replied John with a grin.
“If you could have anything for Christmas, what would it be?” Santa asked.
“That’s easy,” said John, “I’d retire and Dorine would go back to work. I like to cook more than Dorine does and she never irons the sheets. We’d move back east. I’d get a wood fired brick oven and make pizza all day!”
“But remember Santa, I’d like my book to get published, if and when I finish,” interrupted Dorine.
“Ok, I’ve got the wish list. Now, when will you move?” asked Santa.
“As soon as the housing market comes back from the dead, so I guess we’ll be here for a few more years,” John surmised.
“Well, what are you doing until then?” asked Santa as he penciled “Memphis” into his address book.
“We’re begging our friends and relatives to visit!”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

don't whine. just write. i know something about writing and i knew you once. just keep writing. it'll come. even if it's lousy, at least you'll have done it.