Saturday, June 14, 2008

Nebraska Notes #3 - A refreshing first day

With 12 other writers of various ages, genre interests and skills, I spent the first day of a two day workshop with a New York City based publicist and agent totally absorbed in their real world lessons. It was refreshing and delightful to learn that my years of doing business have prepared me for writing engaging query letters and elevator speeches. An old dog like myself (and many of the other participants I'm pleased to say) can modify old tricks to work in new environments!

The leisurely pace of the sessions leave plenty of time for reflection and talk. I woke early, bursted in the crisp morning air, and quietly sipped coffee while scanning the local newspaper.

It was fun. It was exciting talking about my work and listening to what others are doing, along with their struggles and successes. It's amazing how many writer's don't know how to write a short business letter. And, most importantly, it was hopeful, as the agent requested privately after the the session for me to send her the first three chapters of my book as soon as possible. Lesson learned: Speaking up pays off!

My suitemate tonight is a delightful woman, Kathy, from Omaha. Over steaks and libations we shared our life stories and enjoyed a walk in the breezy evening air. Between her stories of husband, career and two kids and my "retirement" turmoil in Memphis, we laughed are way through the evening. Conclusion: Women should rule the world!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

pay careful attention to what agents tell you. After you get past their bluster, you'll find that there is almost NOTHING they can do for a first-time author that you can't do for yourself. They expect YOU to do all the marketing that they and a publisher should, but won't, do. So why do you need them? If you believe in your work, self-publish, self-market, self-sell.

From an old friend who knows something about publishing...

Enjoy Nebraska. America is fun.